What You Need to Know About Elderly Urinary Incontinence
What is urinary incontinence? It’s the involuntary passing of urine, according to the National Association for Continence (NAFC).
Incontinence can happen at any age, but it’s generally more common in seniors. It can be caused by typical aging, lifestyle choices, or a range of health conditions.
The following health issues can cause urinary incontinence in both women and men:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
Types of incontinence include:
- Urge incontinence – Also known as an overactive bladder – an urgent need to urinate.
- Total incontinence – This can indicate that your sphincter muscle is weakened, resulting in uncontrollable leakage.
- Stress incontinence – Occurs when you have increased abdominal pressure that increases pressure from your bladder.
- Overflow incontinence – This happens when your bladder doesn’t completely empty when you go to the bathroom.
- Functional incontinence – This is caused by other disabilities such as neurological disorders or arthritis.
- Mixed incontinence – This is a person who suffers from more than one type of incontinence, such as stress incontinence plus urge incontinence.
What Can Plymouth Terrace Do to Help Ensure Your Loved One is Taken Care of?
Do you need special accommodations? Do you need medical assistance around the clock? Need help bathing and changing? Palliative care can help accommodate your specific needs.
Plymouth Terrace Senior Living has the ability to provide excellent care thru our preferred in-house Hospice Palliative Care Team – Angela Hospice. This type of care focuses on providing relief from the symptoms and stress due to serious illness. The goal is to improve your quality of life.
Assisted Living in Plymouth: Make Plymouth Terrace Your Home Away from Home!
We can help your family create peace of mind. When you’re at home, you’ll know your loved one is taken care of and in good hands. Plymouth Terrace – “Where our family shares life with your family!”
Our "Aging by Choice" philosophy allows a flexibility of options for our residents and their families; you choose what is best for you, and we make it possible. We’re confident in our ability to provide the best quality of care, the security, and the family atmosphere that you’re seeking! We warmly invite you to see the difference we can make when your family shares life with our family. Schedule a tour for assisted living at Plymouth Terrace today!